1. Book the Movers. It’s a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
2. Make special arrangements for the moving of Perishables, Plants and Pets.
3. Check with your Insurance Agent on Coverage of Life, Auto & Household Goods en Route to your New Home.
4. Dispose safely of all Flammable Liquids, as it is Illegal for Movers to carry them.
5. Tune and Fill Up Car for the Trip.
IF YOU OWN YOUR PRESENT HOME:
1. Arrange your Gas, Oil Tank & Electric Meters read on the day you move, forward the bill to your New Address.
2. If your Water Heater is rented, arrange for the Transfer of the rental agreement to the Buyer on closing.
3. Disconnect your Telephone, Cable T.V. & Internet Provider. Have reconnected on the day of your move.
4. Cancel obsolete Contracted Services & Pre-Authorized Cheques. Organize Contracted Services for New Address.
5. Cancel Alarm/Security Company. Arrange for Service at New Address
6. Return borrowed items to Neighbours.
IF YOU RENT YOUR PRESENT HOME:
1. Give Written Notice to Landlord & make arrangements for the return of any money you have on deposit.
1. Get “Change of Address” Cards and send out well before moving day.
2. Have the Post Office forward your Mail to your New Address.
3. Inform Newspapers, Magazine Subscriptions, Diaper and other Home Delivery Services. Arrange for Services at your New Address.
4. Transfer Trust or Bank Accounts and Securities. Obtain a Letter of Introduction from your current Branch to help establish New Accounts.
5. Take everything out of your Safety Deposit Box and Transfer to your New Branch.
6. Cancel or Transfer Social, Athletic, Civic Clubs, Religious or Business Affiliations and Memberships.
7. Obtain or Arrange to Transfer Legal Medical, Dental, Prescription, Optical, and Veterinarian Records.
8. Change the Address on your OHIP, Driver’s Licence(s) and Vehicle Registration effective Moving Day.
9. Collect all items out of Dry Cleaning, Repair or Storage.
10. Inform Credit Card Companies and other Bills such as Cellular Phone of New Address.
11. Notify Insurance Companies such as Health, Life, Auto, and Homeowners of Address Change.
12. Obtain School, Birth and Baptismal Records for Children and Family.
13. Notify appropriate Government Offices: Old Age Security, Income Tax, Family Allowance, Canada Pension Plan, Unemployment Insurance, Maternity Benefits, Health and Hospital Insurance.
LEAVE MANUALS & EXTRA KEYS! LEAVE PROPERTY CLEAN & TIDY!